Imagine yourself in a completely unknown place and you are looking for someone to meet. You take out your mobile phone, start GPS.. but GPS does not work because of not being into open place. Then you start your browser, wait for network to select, type in “google maps.com” but unfortunately network signal is weak, that option is also gone. Imagine the same situation becoming worst, when your phone does not even have GPS/internet facility to run google maps, what to do..where to go?
Here we are.. “2D barcode based information and navigation system”
Not only navigation but also information system using 2D barcode (like QR code, semacode, maxicode etc) designed and prototyped by Keyur Sorathia(Interaction Designer) & Dhairya Dand(Computer Science Expert). A research project exploring new possibilities on contextual navigation & information using almost any camera mobile phone and with just 50 paise print out.
Here, the scenario tries to explain every aspect of it, still we are mentioning some important points needs to be considered.
If we explain the process in simple steps:
start reader >> triggers your camera >> automatically fetches the data & shows on mobile screen
Some more points that are not mentioned in the scenario:
- Technology is designed in such a way that, unlimited data can be stored and displayed
- Detailed contextual information is displayed which never happens in GPS / google maps
- Information can be displayed using all media of videos, images and text.
- The system can be placed and used in any place
- It requires only step interaction to call, send SMS, view website & mail
Currently we have a low fidelity prototype using Nokia N95 and looking forward to make a working prototype using other mobile phones.
Waiting for the comments 🙂